I thought up this recipe yesterday and couldn’t wait to make it for dinner tonight!
I was at Trader Joe’s over the weekend and picked up some ricotta cheese. I don’t know about you, but I don’t normally stick to my grocery list. If something catches my eye, I’ll toss it in the cart and find ways to incorporate it into the week’s menu.
Back to the ricotta. I was delightfully surprised that a container of this delectable cheese was under $4. I knew that I had some shredded mozzarella at home so….lasagna it is!
I was trying to figure out what to use for the “pasta” sheets since I’m slowly trying to get back into the keto lifestyle. I had Palmini in the pantry but that wouldn’t work. I could make it out of chaffles??? Nah. That’d be too dense.
Then it hit me. I have Crepini Egg Wraps in the fridge! Plus, the new larger size seemed to be the perfect shape to fit in the Instant Pot. I was stoked to try it out!
So, today I tried it out and it was PERFECT!
Before I share the recipe, I’m going to let you know that I’m not the type of cook who measures. I kind of just throw ingredients together and BOOM! Delicious! I’ll do my best to give measurements but keep in mind, they’re just guesses.
If you’re like me and only need a list of ingredients, here it is:
- Crepini Egg Wraps
- Meat sauce
- Cheese mixture: ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella and parmesan; sprinkle of oregano and basil.
Here’s what I did:
I first made the meat sauce by throwing in ground beef and 1 jar of pasta sauce into the Instant Pot. I set it on “meat” for 30 mins. Be sure to choose a pasta sauce that doesn’t add sugar to the recipe.
While the meat is cooking, I put together the cheese mixture. I combined 1 container of ricotta cheese from Trader Joe’s with shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan and a sprinkling of oregano and basil. Add whatever spices you’d like.
Once the meat sauce was finished, I transferred it over to a large bowl. We’ll be using the same pot to build the lasagna in. There’s no need to wash it since you’ll just be putting all the ingredients back into it.
Now we’re ready to start layering.
First, you’re going to ladle some of the sauce to the bottom of the pot. Then you’re going to layer 2 sheets of Crepini. Add a layer of meat sauce. Add a layer of cheese mixture. Repeat until you’ve used up all of the ingredients. For me, I was able to make 3 layers with the cheese mixture at the very top.
I then set the Instant Pot to slow cook on medium for 1 hour. At this point, you’re really just warming up the lasagna and melting the cheese.
Here’s the finished product! It’s soooo good!!!
If you’re still needing a more detailed recipe here’s my attempt…
- 2lbs ground beef
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- 6 sheets of Crepini Egg Wraps
- 1 container of ricotta cheese from Trader Joe’s
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- Oregano and basil (dried or fresh)
- Cook the ground beef and jar of pasta sauce in Instant Pot. Setting: meat; 30 minutes.
- Transfer cooked meat sauce into a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan. Add some sprinkling of oregano and basil.
- Add a ladle of sauce to bottom of the pot.
- Add 2 sheets of Crepini.
- Add a layer of meat sauce.
- Add a layer of cheese mixture.
- Repeat the layers. Cheese should be at the top.
- Set the Instant Pot on slow cooker mode for 1 hour.